Making an apple pie has never been so easy. Simply toss apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and spoon over a refrigerated pie crust in the cast-iron skillet. Top with the other crust and bake.
- 4 pounds sliced Gala apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated pie crust
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 pie crust in skillet over brown sugar mixture.
- Spoon apple mixture over pie crust, and top with remaining pie crust.
- Brush top of pie crust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.fausse montre Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Serve with butter-pecan ice cream.