It does not get any better than this! Homemade Bacon
- 5-10 pounds Pork Belly / Meaty
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Spice of your choice
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- Mix salt and sugar, 50/50 mix
- Add Syrup to make paste
- Place Pork Belly in a zip top plastic bag then rub each side with the rub
- Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for 7-10 days
- Turn the Pork Belly over every day
- On the last day, remove the Pork Belly from the refrigerator and wash it thoroughly with cold water.
- Pat dry and let it rest on a cooling rack
- Set up you pit for indirect heat targeting 284 Deg F
- Place Pork Belly on a rack skin side down while the fire it coming up to temperature
- we are targeting an internal temperature of 153 Deg F
- We swap out the salt for our BBQ rub and use brown sugar, 50/50
- We have finally decided that on our slicer the thickness of 1.5 is just for boat breakfast and candied bacon.
- Cooking the 1.5 thickness in the oven works best, 370 deg for 20 minutes.